LISTED BUILDINGS IN EFFINGHAM PARISH
Data extracted from English Heritage : Listed Buildings Online on September 13th 2010
and reproduced here by kind permission of English Heritage.
EFFINGHAM HOUSE, GUILDFORD ROAD
LBS Number: 288654
House, now club house. Centre portion early C19 with Victorian side wings (c.1880) added to ends, minor C20 alterations to rear. Whitewashed stucco to centre with pebbledash claddings to side wings; hipped slate roofs obscured by parapets. 2 storeys; wings lower and set back. Central portion: 4 window range with glazing bar sash fenestration, thin glazing bars intact, in C19 shutters. 3 windows to ground floor with double, half-glazed doors to right of centre in plaster-strip surround and under flat hood. Flat roofed, modillioned, Ionic style portico across the ground floor on two columns and plaster pier responds.
End wings: Each 3 bays, in an irregular arrangement. Left hand wing with giant pilasters to corners supporting cornice parapet. Two glazing bar sash windows on each floor between the pilasters, further linking bay set back slightly to right.
Right hand wing: Similar arrangement of two windows between giant pilasters; and linking bay set back slightly. Square bay windows to ground floor.
Extensive service wings to rear.
Interior: Entrance hall: decorated ceiling and early C19 staircase with turned balusters and ramped handrail. Other features surviving include plaster cornices, moulded dados and panelling and decorated door surrounds; although restored.
BROWNS, BROWN’S LANE
LBS Number: 288655
House. C17, extended and refaced in C18, further extended in C19 and to right end in C20. Timber framed core clad in red brick with plain tiled roof, hipped to left and half-hipped to right. 2 storeys on plinth with brick modillion eaves cornice. Large stack to left, rebuilt stack to right and further stacks to rear.
Wood framed diamond paned leaded casement fenestration with five windows on the first floor – a mixture of 3 and 4-lights, under arched heads – 5 windows below.
Ribbed and studded door to right of centre in pentice-roofed brick and timber porch.
Rear: Irregular fenestration of glazing bar sash windows, retaining original glazing bars, under cambered heads.
CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE
LBS Number: 288656
Church. C12 origin with south transept of c1250, chancel C14, nave, aisle and western tower 1888 by W. J. Shearburn. Random flint rubble, cut and knapped in tower and nave, with ashlar dressings and quoins. Plain tiled roofs. Short tower to west, nave with south aisle and added porch, transept to south and chancel to east.
Tower: offset buttresses to west end, 2 storeys under battlemented parapet. 3 lancets, linked under continuous hood mould, with louvered openings in 3 stages of top stage. C19 Perpendicular style window to west end; over C19 double doors in stone surround. 3 bay, buttressed, nave with ogee-arch, 2-light tracery windows under stone voussoir heads to north side. 2 bay chancel with Y tracery single light windows and 2-light window to north under segmental label moulding. (C14). C14 window to east vestry to south flanking chancel.
Gabled C19 porch with simple arched surround to double doors.
Interior: 4 bay south arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Chancel arch with 3 orders of jamb shafts under plain capitals. Panelled wood ceilings with billeted wall plates to nave and chancel. 2 bay transept with braced crownpost roof and quoined surrounds to windows.
Fittings: Marble and gilt reredos, early C20. Late C19 pulpit with ogee arched crocketed panels. Marble Font: round bowl on centre stem with 4 siennese marble detached pillason keyhole step plinth. Piscina to south wall of chapel. Water stoup by South Door.
Stained glass window: To north wall at junction with chancel; by Heaton Bulter and Baynes 1911. Mosaic and terracotta panels flanking the reredos depict Gabriel and Oriel. By Caesar Czarnikow 1911.
Monuments: White stone tablets in chancel. Remainder of monuments moved to tower walls.
North Wall: Various tablets including one to Maria Parratt. Died 1844, by William Pistell. In neo-classical style with grey stone, arched, ground and reclining mourning figure on a couch. Further tablets to south wall. It is possible that the transept was built by the monks of Merton Priory.
BOGLE VAULT, 25 FEET NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE
LBS Number: 288657
Vault. Dedicated to the Bogle family. Early C19. Stone. Step plinth with square pier above on moulded base. Panelled sides with recessed angle piers. Greek geometric pattern band to top; cornice and stepped capital supporting foliage garland and ribbon work urn.
APREECE TOMB, 25 FEET NORTH OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE
LBS Number: 288658
Tomb. Early C19. Stone moulded plinth with panelled sides; fluted piers to angles. Gadrooned band to edge of lid with shallow pyramidal finial decorated in similar manner.
VAULT, 30 YARDS NORTH WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE
LBS Number: 288659
Vault. C19. Stone. Square on stepped plinth, approx. 10 feet high. Moulded base with panelled sides under cornice and entablature. Stepped base to ribbed shell socket to spherical finial.
Included for group value.
THE OLD POST COTTAGE, CHURCH STREET
LBS Number: 288660
House. C17 core remodelled in Early C18. Red-brick with hipped plain tiled roof. Two storeys with plat band over ground floor, and moulded, gauged-brick, eaves cornice. End stacks both offset. Regular front with two 3-light casement windows on each floor under gauged brick heads. Central 6 pmn.I door under flat hood.
Included for group value.
NOS. 3, 4, 5 AND 6 (CHURCH COTTAGES, INCLUDING ROOKERY COTTAGES)
LBS Number: 288661
Possible Hall house, now extended and divided. Early C16, extended to left and rear in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed on rendered plinth to ground floor left, tile hung above with brick clad cross wing and extensions to rear. Plain tiled roofs. T-shaped plan with cross wing to left, at right angles to street. 2 storeys with ridge stacks to centre and stacks to rear. 2 windows to first floor, leaded, and 3 windows to ground floor right. Further window in pentice extension to right end.
Gabled bay to left with brick dentils on gables. Irregular casement fenestration with one window on each floor and one window between floors. C20 door to right (No. 6) 2 part glazed doors, 1 stable style to left. Double gabled wings to rear, with one first floor casement window to each gable. Brick porch on left (No. 5) trellis porch to right (No. 4).
Part glazed door to end of cross wing in open gabled porch (No. 3).
CROCKNORTH FARMHOUSE, CROCKNORTH ROAD
LBS Number: 288662
House. C16 core, remodelled and extended in 1874 by the Lovelace Estate, further extended in 1919 at the rear. Timber framed core now clad in flint and ironstone rubble with brick dressings; plain tiled roofs, half-hipped to front with end gablets. T-shaped plan. 2 storeys, with large central corbelled stack on entrance front, further stacks to ends and rear.
Entrance front: Regular front with lozenge and guilloche band over ground floor, and decorated eaves. Leaded casement fenestration, two-light outer windows on first floor in,roll-moulded,decorative brick surrounds and under label hood mouldings.
Single light windows in similar surrounds to ground floor. Central gabled, 2 storey projecting porch with one cambered head first floor window in roll-moulded surround.
Ribbed door below in similar decorative cambered head surround.
Left hand return front: Gable end attic to right. Leaded casement fenestration, including one 4-light ogee tracery window to ground floor under label moulding.
Gabled porch to centre with cambered head,leaded,first floor casement (3-light with brick mullions) studded door below in 3 steproll-moulded and chamfered surround.
OCTAGON LODGE, CROCKNORTH ROAD
LBS Number: 288663
Lodge. 1873 in Lovelace style. Random flint rubble with brick and terracotta dressings, slate roofs with plain tiles to ridges, hipped over lodge. Octagonal plan. Single storey with brick corbels and machiciolations to eaves. Central stack. One metal framed casement window to each face in decorative, billeted brick surround. Single storey C2O extension to right in similar style with C20 part glazed, ribbed door.
SUNHAVEN (FORMERLY, THE RANMORE ARMS), DUNLEY HILL
LBS Number: 288664
House, then restaurant, now factory. 1857 by George and Peto in Norman Shaw style. Red brick with gauged brick dressings, some timber framing to garden front and tower; stone slab roofs with pyramidal wood-shingled roof on tower: H-shape plan with square tower to centre of rear and doubled gable bays to right. Two storey and attics with tall stacks on roof ridges to left, right and rear.
Entrance: front: projecting gabled end wings and central porch. Decorative eaves cornice, modillioned and with floral brick decoration above, that to right of centre containing putti in the Italian manner. Attic under 6 dormer windows, 3 either side of centre, the outer windows with segmented pediments, the central window under a triangular pediment. 3 glazing bar sash windows with flanking shutters on each floor to left of centre, gauged brick heads to first floor, pedimented hoods to ground floor – outer triangular pediments, central one segmented. Two large staircase windows to right of centre under gauged brick heads.
Central Entrance Porch: lunette in gable over decorative band. Casement window to first floor under foliage decorated hood and gauged brick head. Double doors below in arched surround under cartouche Coat of Arms.
Right hand return front: Two gabled bays with pargetting in the gables. Wooden balconies across the splat balusters; posts braced with modillion cornice above. Square bays projecting on ground floor.
Square tower to rear: open upper stage with wooden lame pilaster piers and iron finial.
NORWOOD FARM HOUSE, EFFINGHAM COMMON ROAD
LBS Number: 288665
Hall house. Early C16 with later C16 extensions to right and rear; refaced in C17 and C18. Timber framed, exposed on rear wing, clad in red and brown to front; plain tiled roofs, hipped with end gablet to front left, half-hipped on wing to rear right with tile hung hip. 2 storeys on plinth with attic to rear of right hand wing. Front ridge stack to left of centre, flint and brick end stack to right with tiled offsets. 4 framed bays. Diamond pane leaded casement fenestration, 3 windows on first floor, 4 cambered head windows below. Planked door to left in open gabled brick porch with roundel in gable and arched entrance flanked by piers.
Interior: substantial amounts of framing visible with two service doors surviving to ground floor and good moulded crown post, braced, in bay to right of stack.
BARN 40 FEET WEST OF NORWOOD FARM HOUSE, EFFINGHAM COMMON ROAD
LBS Number: 288666
Barn. C17 in two builds. Timber framed on brick plinth with weatherboard cladding, large plain-tiled half-hipped roof. 9 framed bays with gabled projecting entrances to left and right of centre, flanking central open pentice extension.
Interior: Some jowled main posts, mixed roof trusses – both Queen-post and Queen-strut.
LOWER FARM HOUSE, EFFINGHAM COMMON ROAD
LBS Number: 288667
House. Cl7 core with C18 front restored in 1907. Red brick with plain tiled roofs; raised and tile coped gable ends. L-shape plan with long, lower wing to rear. Two storeys and attic under 2 hipped roof dormers to front; 2 storeys to rear. End stack to front left, two end stacks to right. Regular front: brick dentilled eaves to regular 3 bay facade. C20 casement fenestration of 2 windows on each floor under cambered heads, blocked window to centre of first floor. Central glazed door under thick flat hood on braces.
Left hand return front: First floor tile hung. C20 casement fenestration of 4 windows on the first floor. Further door to right.
TYRELLS [sic – TYRRELLS], EFFINGHAM COMMON ROAD
LBS Number: 288668
House. C17,with later refacing and C20 extensions. Timber framed with whitewashed brick and render infilling on ground floor, tile hung above. Whitewashed brick and rendered cladding to extensions. Plain tiled roofs. C17 range to left with later range parallel to right, linked across centre. Old entrance front now to rear.
Old entrance front: Two storeys, with large offset stack to left. Double gables with one leaded casement window to each gable on first floor, flanking central first floor casement. One 3-light ground floor window to each range. Central double casement doors.
New entrance front (Formerly the rear of the House) 2 gabled ranges, older to left with large gable end stack. One casement window on each floor of left hand gable, one window to ground floor right. Central door in C20 shallow, wide gabled porch.
Left hand return front: 3 framed bays.
ORCHARD COTTAGE, EFFINGHAM COMMON ROAD
LBS Number: 288669
Cottage. Late C16 extended to right in C20. Timber framed, exposed on rendered plinth, with whitewashed brick infill, extensions to right in imitation timber frame and painted brick. Plain tiled roofs, hipped over extensions. 2 storeys. 2 framed bays with end stack to left. 2 casement windows to first and ground floor of old range. Ribbed door in open pentice porch to right, set back at junction with C20 extensions.
CROSSLANDS, GUILDFORD ROAD
LBS Number: 288670
House. C16 to rear, late C18 to front. Timber framed range to rear, exposed to left with whitewash render and brick infilling, whitewashed render cladding to left hand return front, red brick cladding to right hand return front. Plain tiled roofs, half-hipped with gablets over rear range. 2 storeys, 3 bay range to rear, parallel range to front right with bargeboarded gabled bay to front left.
End stack to right, ridge stack to right of gable and end stack to left on rear range. 12-pane glazing bar sash windows to front with 2 windows on each floor of gabled bay under gauged brick heads. 2 windows on each floor to right and wooden cornice to front. 6 panel door to centre of gabled bay with transome light over, in modillioned pediment on Doric columns with dosserets over, and foliage carving in recessed tympaneum. Right hand corner curved.
THE RED HOUSE, LOWER ROAD
LBS Number: 288671
House. 1893 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Susan Muir Mackenzie. Red brick on a stone plinth with Bargate stone dressings; tile hung gables to machine tiled roofs, half-hipped to right. Two storeys with attic to gable on left and under hipped roof dormer to right. Half-H shape plan to front with projecting end bays, and wing at right angles to rear left. Massive stack to left end and further stacks to rear.
Stone-dressed casement fenestration with chamfered surrounds, stone mullions and tile-on edge lintels. One 4-light window to left hand gable in attic, one 5-light window on first and ground floors below. Three 3-light first floor casements in continuous strip under the eaves to the centre, one 4-light window below. Two 2-light casements to first floor right under ogee section parapet to set back roof.
2 windows to ground floor, one to left continuing around the corner. Arched door in re-entrant angle to left in stone chamfered surround under metal covered hood suspended from hangers. Hipped roof service wing to rear left. C20 wing to right end, added when roof was altered. Originally ‘The Red House”was in a Gertrude Jekyll Garden, who was a friend of the owner, and is an early work by Lutyens.
LODGE/YARD OF THE RED HOUSE, LOWER ROAD
LBS Number: 288672
House. 1893 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Susan Muir Mackenzie. Red brick on a stone plinth with Bargate stone dressings; tile hung Lodge/Service building, now a cottage. 1893 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Red brick on stone plinth with stone dressings; hipped plain tiled roof with end gablets and weatherboard turret to front. Single storey with leaded casement fenestration. Two 3-light casements to ends of street front in lugged surrounds, two single light openings to centre, one either side of square turret under 2 pyramidal roof.
House. 1893 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Susan Muir Mackenzie. Red brick on a stone plinth with Bargate stone dressings; tile hung Part glazed loft door to front of turret; main entrance to left hand return front.
OLD WESTMOOR COTTAGE, ORESTAN LANE
LBS Number: 288673
Remains of Hall house. C15 altered in C16, extended to rear in C17 and with mid-C17 porch, restored in C19. Timber framed, exposed on Entrance (East) front with colourwashed render infill, over rendered underbuild, brick porch. Hipped plain tiled roofs with end gablets.
Entrance front at right angles to street: 2 storeys with inserted stack to right of centre. 3 framed bays with curved first floor bracing to ends. Casement fenestration with 2 windows on first floor, 2 windows below, leaded to left. Fine, 2 storey, brick pilasters with flint inlays flank an oval panel on the first floor and a gauged brick, round-headed arched entrance to the ground floor. Brick imposts to door surround and central panel to cornice over ground floor. Gabled wings at right angles to rear; one to left with further entrance.
Interior: Crown post roofs to front and south ranges, much re-used timber in roof of wing.
OUTDOWNS LODGE, OUTDOWNS
LBS Number: 288674
Lodge. 1859 built by the Lovelace Estate. Random flint rubble with red and blue brick dressings; slate roofs with bargeboards. 2 storeys with single storey extension to street front and to rear. Stack to gable end away from street.
Entrance front at right angles to street: Decorative brick band of ovals and panels over ground floor, and decorative brick plinth. Metal casement windows under chamfered brick heads and label mouldings: One window to each floor and one further window to ground floor in extension. C20 panelled door in re-entrant angle between main house and extension. Further windows to left hand return front and to rear catslide.
OLDLANDS BRIDGE, OUTDOWNS
LBS Number: 288675
Bridge. C1860 built by the Lovelace Estate. Flint rubble with brick edging and coping, of D section, to west side, rubble coping to west. Single span bridge c8 feet in diameter with brick-edged arch. Rubble retaining walls and balustrades, c2 feet high.
VINE COTTAGE, THE STREET
LBS Number: 288676
House. Mid C18. Red and brown brick with hipped,plain-tiled roof. U shaped plan with wings to rear. Two storeys with dentilled brick plat band to eaves and end stacks. Regular front of 3 bays with 16 pane glazing bar, sash fenestration under gauged brick heads. 3 windows on first floor, two on ground floor. Central half-glazed panelled door under hipped hood on braces, in shallow break and ribbed surround.
HOME FARM HOUSE, THE STREET
LBS Number: 288677
House. Early C16 to rear, mid-C16 front with C17 extensions, remodelled in C20.
Timber framed, exposed on right hand return front with whitewashed roughcast cladding to front; plain tiled roofs stepping down to rear, and half hipped to front right. Two storeys. Ridge stack to centre of rear range and square stack to right on front range. Wood framed, leaded casement fenestration, 2 windows on each floor to right and one on first floor left wing. Gabled stair turret in re-entrant angle of ranges with first floor casement and door to ground floor.
MIDDLE FARM HOUSE, THE STREET
LBS Number: 288678
Hall House. C15 core with early C17 extensions, refaced in C19. Timber framed clad in whitewashed render, plain tiled roof. 2 storeys in gabled end bays, 1 storey and attic to centre. Ridge stack inserted to right, rear stacks to left. Wavy edged bargeboards to gables and to gabled dormer. C19 casement fenestration with hexagonal pattern glazing bars. One window on first floor in each gabled bay, 2 “cross” windows to ground floor and a further window to left of centre.
Ribbed door to centre in gabled brick porch with wavy edged bargeboards and braces.
Right hand return front: framing exposed with whitewashed brick and render infill.
Pentice extension to rear left.
THE LODGE, LOWER ROAD
LBS Number: 288859
Large house, recently school and nursing home. The east wing was built between 1835 and 1841 by Captain William Manning. In 1897 the railway engineer George Saunders Pauling, who had made his fortune in South Africa and Rhodesia, added a massive porte-cochère and a few rooms to the east and a large galleried wing to the west. Italianate style. Original house stuccoed with incised lines to imitate masonry and wide wooden bracketed eaves cornice, rest stuccoed with bands of rustication. Slate roof and stuccoed chimney stacks. Original house of two storeys with 4 windows to north-east and 5 to south-east.
Contemporary 3 storey service wing with 4 sashes to north-west. Other windows are 12-pane casements to first floor and mullioned and transomed French windows below. South part of garden front has a right side projecting pediment with first floor casement and 4-light French window below. The central bay is recessed with similar casement to first floor and French window with cornice and brackets above to ground floor. To the left is a shallow curved bay with 3 casements to the first floor and 3 French windows with cornices and brackets.
North-east or entrance front has to left 2-storey curved bay with casement to first floor and French window with cornice and bracket below. First floor has three other 12-pane casement windows. The ground floor is obscured by a massive porte-cochère of 1897 stuccoed with balustraded parapet, tuscan column and 2 round-headed arches to front, doorcase with curved pediment and side lights and two side windows with shell moulding above. 1 storey 1 bay addition of 1897 to right and 2 storey 1 bay addition of 1897 to right of this with rusticated ground floor and mullioned and transomed casements with cornices and brackets to ground floor windows. To the south-west is large 1897 wing of 2 to 3 storeys. To the extreme right is a 3 storey canted bay with lookout on 2nd floor 3 12-pane casements to upper floor and 1 window on ground floor. To the left set back are 3 further 12 pane casements with curved bay to ground floor with 3 4-light French windows with cornice and brackets. Left corner has shallow 2 storey bay with 3 12-pane casements to first floor and 3 French windows to ground floor. South-west side has probable C20 flat roofed extension in matching style. North-west front has 7 windows including 3 in 2 storey canted bay. Facing at right angles is the earlier period service wing now pebbledashed but with 6-pane sashes to upper floor and 12-pane sashes to ground floor. The original building has a huge ground floor reception room, comprised of three rooms. The corner room has an oval ceiling and underneath the pedimented projection a ceiling painting depicting cherubs. c1840 marble fireplaces and c1897 built-in seat with delicate carved wooden display cabinet above. The central room has a ceiling painting of a lady reading a book flanked by cherubs. The next room has a painted ceiling depicting Venus in a chariot drawn by doves with 5 cherubs bearing garlands. Door surrounds to these rooms have cornices with brackets, swag and paterae friezes and paterae to architraves.
Columned feature divides rooms. Same 6 panelled doors. Principal first floor bedroom has cornice with oak leaf moulding. Earlier service wing retains servants staircase with stick balusters and column newels. Other internal features are of c1897. Large panelled entrance hall has stone 4 centred fireplace with elaborate overmantel with swansneck pediment. Oval cupola. Massive staircase hall with oak Jacobean style staircase with 2 round-headed wooden niches at first floor level with plastered surrounds and gallery. At the base of the staircase is a built-in L-shaped seat and fireplace with tiled surround. Large Dining Room is panelled but with deep plastered cornice with swags and wave, strapwork ceiling and stone 4 centred fireplace with pilastered overmantel. Reception Room 3 has a c1897 circular metal and glazed dome and wooden fireplace with eaved architraves and swags probably resited from the earlier wing.
Reception Room 4 has a later C19 4 centred arched stone fireplace. At the centre of the 1897 wing is an elaborate 2 storey gallery with curved balconettes at each end, elaborate door surrounds with cornices and brackets with swag moulding and original palton tiled floor.
George Saunders Pauling was a local benefactor having built and endowed the local Roman Catholic Church “Our Lady of Sorrows” in 1913.