Effingham Peace Day Celebrations
Written by Christopher J. Hogger.
A plan for a national peace celebration in the aftermath of the Great War's cessation of hostilities in November 1918 was first put forward by the Foreign Secretary Lord Curzon, when chairing the first meeting of the Peace Committee in May 1919. He envisaged a quite elaborate celebration extending over the first few days of August. However, with the signing of the Versailles Treaty at the end of June, the event was brought forward and simplified to occupy just one day, Saturday July 19th.
In London the principal event that day was the Victory Parade of 15, 000 troops, culminating with their arrival in Whitehall at Edwin Landseer Lutyens' hastily-erected, prototypical Cenotaph. Numerous other festivities and entertainments were also staged across the capital.
Smaller-scale imitations of these arrangements took place the same day in most of the country's towns and villages. However, popular sentiment about them was not uniformly favourable, as many individuals and organisations were variously indifferent, opposed or highly hostile towards them. In some towns - in particular Luton where, with the burning-down of its town hall, four days of "Peace Riots" had to be suppressed by massed troops - the celebrations provoked major acts of public disorder. In some cases the antipathy arose from the overtly militaristic nature of the parades, whilst in others the high levels of unemployment and economic distress offered nothing to celebrate or feel victorious about.
However, from such evidence as we currently possess, Effingham's celebrations appear to have been a well-balanced mix of events with village-wide participation, as the programme below attests.
Effingham's Peace Day Programme
No original instance of Effingham's printed programme for this event is currently known to our group, but a single photocopy of one has been found amongst Parish Council papers. Below is an image of the front cover; the entire copy (pdf, 1Mb) can obtained from here. The back cover, which had been blank in the original, bears an 'Order of Procession' handwritten (presumably in 1919) by someone unknown.
A transcription follows of the entire content of this copy.
July 19, 1919.
Celebrations to commemorate the
will take place in the grounds of the Lodge,
by kind permission of Mrs. Pauling.
|Mrs. PAULING,||Col. Thompson,|
|Mrs. GRIMWADE,||Capt. J. BOTTERELL,|
|Mrs. THOMPSON,||Miss TESSDALE,|
|Rev. Bernard KELLY,||Miss E. J. ROSS,|
|D. MOONEY, Esq.||Rev. E. F. BAYLY,|
|Mrs. CALBURN,||Capt. F. C. BOOTH, V.C.,|
|C. CALBURN, Esq.|
|Miss MADGE,||Mr. E. LOXLEY,|
|Mr. YATES,||" J. OTTAWAY,|
|" C. W. DODMAN,||" MADGE,|
|" R. STREET,||" H. JACKSON,|
|" E. RICHARDS,||" E. DAVIS,|
|" W. BUTCHER,||" T. P. WEST,|
|Mr. L. E. D. BARNARD.|
J. STEWART ADAMS,
Dyer, Printer, Leatherhead. - 4484.
Programme of Events
Interior left side:
|10 a.m.||BOYS' CRICKET.|
Assembly for Procession.
Ex C.S.M. Dearling (Marshall).
|1-30 p.m.||March to Lodge Grounds.|
Ex Service Men v. The Village.
(Capt. Edgar Richards). (Capt. Ralph Street).
Fishpond and Bran Tub.
Miss Teesdale and Mrs. Adams.
|3-45 p.m.||Junior Children's Races.|
|4-30 p.m.||Children's TEA|
Ladies v. Gentlemen.
(Capt. Miss Madge). (Capt. C. W. Dodman).
Races for Elder Scholars.
Interior right side:
PRESENTATION of Souvenir to
Ex Service Men (given by the
Parish) by Miss E. J. Ross.
(Mr. E. Davis, Parish Council Representative).
Sports for ADULTS, including
Races and Tug-of-War.
Presentation of Prizes by Mrs.
|9 p.m.||Dancing on the Skating Rink.|
Fishpond and Bran Tub.
Miss Teesdale and Mrs. Adams.
|10-30 p.m.||Fireworks and Bonfire.|
THE EFFINGHAM BAND
(Bandmaster: MR. A. STOVELL),
Will play Selections during the day.
GOD SAVE THE KING.
Back cover (handwritten):
Order of Procession
Assembly 1.15 pm near Sir Douglas Hotel
|1.||GUIDE (Cpl E. Dench M.M. Gren. Guards).|
Effingham BAND. (A. Stovell).
|4.||ex. SERVICE MEN.|
|5.||Women War Workers.|
|11.||Remainder of Parishioners.|
Marshal. Mr. Wm. Dearling
The above handwritten material records that the gathering point for the procession was 'near the Sir Douglas Hotel'. Today's public house of that name was built on that site in 1904. It was previously called The Blucher Hotel and had migrated to that location from its original position at the crossroads (where the property Crosslands stands today), when it had been called The Prince Blucher. The Blucher Hotel changed its name to The Sir Douglas Haig for obvious anti-German reasons during the war. Having assembled outside the hotel, the Procession would then march to The Lodge on Lower Road.
The precise route taken by the Procession is not yet known but it certainly went up to Effingham (Manor) House (today's golf club). Several postcard photographs of it were taken there on the day. Four of these, kindly supplied by Mrs. Winifred Annie (née Stovell) Hall, are shown below with their original printed captions.
Effingham Peace Procession in the Grounds of the Manor House, July 19th, 1919.
Above we see almost the entire Procession, in which the various groups appear in the order as given on the Programme. At the front is Corporal Dench – close study of the original photograph reveals the Military Medal pinned to his chest. He is standing at a point just a few yards west of the western-most end of Effingham House and, like all the others there, is facing east, presumably ready to march back out into the village.
Peace Procession, Boys' Scouts and Band.
Behind Corporal Dench, we see the village band led by Mr. Arthur Archibald Stovell (with the large drum), together with some scouts who were evidently band members (many more scouts were further back in the Procession). In the background is seen the massive trunk of the great cedar tree which, until relatively recent times, stood just west of the house. At the right is some stone balustrading seen identically in other old photographs of the house.
Those who have served their Country in the Peace Procession.
This group comprises the Parish Councillors and the ex-servicemen – the former are probably those at or near the front. We cannot yet securely put names to these faces and would welcome any information to help with this. In 1919 the seven Parish Councillors (with their dates of election) were Edward Davis (1904, for his 2nd term), Harry Jackson (1910), Ernest Albert Loxley (1910), Thomas William Plowright West (1910), Ralph Edgar Street (1913), Benjamin Thomas Lindsay Thomson (1919) and Dermot Joseph Mooney (1919).
Effingham Women's Institute in the Peace Procession, July 19th.
Here we see the Effingham W. I. There may well be other photographs in this series, as yet unknown to us, separately showing the women war workers, the scouts, the guides and the children in perambulators, all of these other groups being in front of the W. I.
The Procession then went to St. Lawrence Church before continuing to The Lodge.
The 'Parish Council Souvenir'
Written by Susan W. Morris and Antony D. Page.
The programme mentions that, at 6pm, surviving ex-servicemen would each be presented with a souvenir by the Parish Council. This was a silver mounted walking stick. Unfortunately, all examples seem to have vanished and we do not currently have even a picture of one. Silver memorial plaques were presented to the families of the fallen, and the whereabouts of these is similarly unknown today.
As it turned out these arrangements ran into some little difficulties along the way ...
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting 8 December 1919:
Mr Mooney explained the cause of the delay of distribution of Walking Sticks – viz. An incorrect list of names of the recipients, and some of the labels being rubbed off the sticks in transit.
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting 15 April 1920:
It was moved by Mr Jackson seconded by Mr Street, the Clerk write Mr Mooney to ask him if he would kindly give this Council a statement of account of the Walking Sticks and Mementos presented to Ex Soldiers and Relations for the Peace Celebration.
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting 19 February 1921:
It was moved that the receipts and expenditure of Walking Sticks and Memorial Plaques distributed to Ex Service Men be entered in the Minutes of the Parish Council –
The latter action was duly carried out, occupying the next three pages of the Minute Book as transcribed below.
Parish of Effingham
It being the wish of the inhabitants of this Parish to show their appreciation to the returned Service Men of the village, the Council formed a Committee to consider proposals for a suitable recognition.
From various suggestions made it was agreed to present every ex-service man then residing in the Parish with a silver mounted walking stick, & that a memorial plaque be presented to the next of kin of those who gave their all in their Country’s cause.
It was decided that an appeal to the inhabitants of the Parish be made for subscriptions to carry out the plan, & the following members of the Committee were duly authorized collectors, with Mr Mooney Treasurer, Messrs H. Jackson, E. Loxley, R. Street, Ed. Davis.
Statement of accounts
|Collected||Mr H. Jackson||44||10||0||Army & Navy Stores|
|" E. Loxley||19||10||0||for Sticks||68||0||6|
|" R. Street||14||16||6||Thomas & Son, Plaques||17||0||0|
|" Ed Davis||19||3||0||L S W Railway||1||0|
|Postage & Stationery||5||0|
|Balance in hand||12||15||0|
By order of the Committee a meeting of the Parishioners was called to consider the best way to dispose of the balance.
It was agreed that it should be used for the upkeep of the War Shrine.
Mr Mooney duly handed over to Miss Ross, Secry of War Shrine Committee, the balance of £12 15s for that purpose.
List of names of ex-service men who were
presented with walking sticks
|Lieut.||J. S. Adams||E. Killick|
|S. Armstrong||F. Landsell|
|Major||J. D. Botterell||W. Mitchell|
|Capt.||F. C. Booth, V.C.||C. Mc.Lean|
|R. G. Barnett||F. Maunders|
|N. Barnett||L. Madge|
|J. Byles||S. Mills|
|F. Bartlett||H. Langley|
|W. Bevan||J. Moore|
|C. Carr||P. Mahoney|
|Lieut.||F. T. Calburn||W. Nicholls|
|Lieut.||C. C. Calburn||J. Ottaway|
|Segt. Major||W. Dearling||C. Patten|
|A. Day||E. Penfold|
|T. Dench||J. Pollard|
|E. Dench||H. Payne|
|J. Buckland||Capt.||J. Potter|
|E. Edwards||A. Poland|
|J. Edwards||E. Richards|
|W. Elliott||A. Richards|
|F. Forehead||E. Ranger|
|F. Hemus||R. Saunders|
|J. Insell||F. Smith|
|R. Johns||W. Smith|
|W. Johns||E. Smith|
|O. Jurd||P. Smithers|
|A. Kemp||Capt.||F. Searle|
|E. Severne||F. Swaisland|
|C. Tyrrell||Capt.||A. M. Thomson|
|G. Tyrrell||Col.||G. L. Thomson|
|W. Warner||R. Whitaker|
|E. West||A. Woods|
|H. Woods||R. B. Yates|
The names in the above list are mostly, but not quite, in alphabetical order.
List of names of those who were killed and died on service,
whose relatives were presented with memorial plaques
|Pte||W. Scarfe||Pte||F. Maskell|
|Pt||F. Barnett||Pt||A. Patten|
|Pt||A. Smith||Pt||R. Roberts|
|Pt||B. Whittington||Pt||F. Kemp|
|Capt||Bessel||Lnc. Cpl||A. Wells|
|Pt||H. Marchant||Sgnt Major||J. C. Taylor|
|2nd Lieut||N. D. Bayly||Pt||W. Ottaway|
|Leading Stoker||R. Wells||Pt||H. Bullen|
Pt H. Bullen's relatives have not yet been found.
[Col] B. J. L. Thomson
[in the Chair; signing to witness them as a true record]
The above statement was later read out in full to residents attending the Annual Parish Meeting on 30 March 1921. The set of names it provides of those who died in service differs slightly from the set actually commemorated in the present day on the St. Lawrence 'War Shrine' in that the shrine (i) includes Reginald George Vigars who strictly came from East Horsley parish and (ii) excludes leading stoker R. Wells whose name plaque has evidently since gone missing.
Notes on those named in the Programme
Written by Susan W. Morris, Antony D. Page and Christopher J. Hogger.
Joseph STEWART ADAMS - Hon. Secretary
He was the very energetic schoolmaster of St. Lawrence Primary School from 1910 to 1945, a driving force behind many village initiatives. He was first in evidence at the Annual Parish Meeting of 1914 where he made two suggestions for improvements: the first was to press for the 10mph speed limit at the two crossroads, near the original 'Blucher' (now Crosslands) and near the school, and also:
"Mr Adams moved that a tidy should be placed in some convenient spot in the Village, so that the waste paper etc could be collected from the sides of the road, which would give the Village a much better appearance."
He was also keen on a scheme for improving fire protection in the centre of the village. He seems to have acted as a stand-in Clerk on occasion, for instance he chaired the election of 1925. He had beautiful handwriting. His role as Hon. Secretary for the Peace Celebration committee is no surprise.
The Programme shows that a Mrs Adams helped with the 'Fishpond and Bran Tub' on the day. This was Joseph's wife Florence; locally they were known familiarly as "Gaffer" and "Gummy".
Mrs Dolores ("Lola") PAULING
The Paulings were one of the wealthiest and most socially important families in Effingham at that time and the Paulings were great benefactors of the village – only a small reference can be made here to their significance. George Craig Saunders Pauling (b. 6 Sept 1854) bought The Lodge – the venue for the celebrations – on Lower Road in 1897. Pauling was a prominent civil engineer, founder in 1877 of Pauling and Company Ltd. which undertook large overseas civil engineering projects. In 1891 he was summoned to Cape Town by Cecil Rhodes to discuss the extension of railways north from S. Africa, and his company built the line out to Bulawayo (modern Zimbabwe). Many other projects and important posts for Pauling followed. The company still exists.
The hostess of the event, Mrs Lola Pauling (née Dolores Lopez Guibara), was newly widowed. Pauling had died only a short while beforehand apparently of pneumonia following influenza caught in London, on 10 February 1919 aged 64. Lola had been George C.S. Pauling's third wife, his first two having predeceased him. With his first wife Annie Ayton, Pauling had had two sons. His second wife Edith Kate (née Halliwell) appears to have had no children. Lola was Pauling's brother's sister-in-law and he had married her by special licence on 17 November 1906. They had two daughters.
See also BOOTH below.
Sadly, the Peace Celebration may have been one of the estate's last happy moments before changed fortunes. Very possibly death duties on Pauling's estate, combined with the great difficulties faced generally by large households after World War I, contributed to financial problems of some sort. In any event, whatever the reason, the estate had to be sold off. Its land became that which now includes the Howard of Effingham School site, the KGV Playing Fields, the Effingham Place residential development and all the land along Lower Road westward to the corner of Church Street; additionally, all the land as far southward along Church Street as the boundary of the Church and the Vicarage, i.e., that which is now occupied by "Ambledown", the former St. Lawrence playing field and the Effingham Parish Council Burial Ground.
At the Annual Parish Meeting of 16 March 1925, Lola Booth, as by then she was, was elected as a Parish Councillor. She signed the declaration to serve at the Parish Council meeting of 15 April 1925 and became only the second ever female member of the Parish Council. Mrs Booth accepted a nomination to serve as the Parish Council's representative on the School Management Committee ('Unanimous').
This new feminist dawn was somewhat short-lived however. The first female Parish Councillor, Miss Cecil Gradwell who had been on the Council since May 1923, had visibly had trouble signing her name and resigned at the following meeting; a letter was sent to her 'thanking her for the interest she had always taken in the welfare of the Parish'. Mrs Booth attended one more meeting under that name, and then appeared under her resumed former name Mrs Pauling. In April 1926 she was re-appointed to the School Management Committee and she appeared at her fourth, final, meeting in August 1926. On 27 April 1927 "It was proposed by Mr Butcher seconded by Mr Botterell that Mr Nottage be the Representative of this Council to serve on the School Management Committee, in the place of Mrs Pauling who has left the Parish"
Col. and Mrs THOMSON (misspelt as Thompson in the Programme)
Col. Benjamin Thomas Lindsay Thomson had been elected a Parish Councillor for the first time in March 1919. Immediately after the election he had taken the chair for the Annual Parish Meeting, apparently to universal and enthusiastic approval. He was a Parish Councillor until the next election in 1922. Two of his sons, Col. Gordon Lindsay Thomson and Capt. Alexander M. Lindsay Thomson, are listed amongst the surviving ex-servicemen.
Rev. Bernard KELLY
Rev. Kelly, born in Rotherhithe in 1872, was the priest at Our Lady of Sorrows, the Catholic church that George C.S. Pauling had built and endowed which had been consecrated on 8 October 1913. At the outbreak of war Father Herlihy, the first priest, left to become a chaplain in the forces. Following him there were two more priests before Rev. Kelly, who held the post from 3 February 1918 to July 1918.
Mr and Mrs MOONEY
Mr Dermot Joseph Mooney had been living at Rose Cottage in The Street, Effingham at least as far back as 1911, when he was described in the Census as a non-practising Solicitor for the Supreme Court of Ireland. He was elected a Parish Councillor in the elections of March 1919, but seems to have served only one term (3 years at that time). In later years he was known well by his next-door neighbours, the Page family; Antony Page remembers his father relating that Dermot was connected with the Irish whiskey firm "J. G. Mooney" of Dublin (his birthplace), a connection yet to be clarified. During WW2 Dermot's wife Lilian Olivia (née Lukin) was the billeting officer for evacuee children. He died aged 75 in late 1945 and Lilian died aged nearly 100 in 1972.
Mr and Mrs Robert CALBURN
Again, one of the wealthiest and most socially important families in Effingham at that time to which more reference is made elsewhere; also great benefactors of the village. The original family name was Von Kaltenbrunnen (of Austro-Bavarian origin) but this had been changed to its Anglicised form Calburn in 1911 by royal licence granted to Theodore George Reitmeyer Von Kaltenbrunnen. Theodore's third son, Robert Reitmeyer Calburn, had bought Effingham Hill House (now St. Teresa's Convent) in 1916 and, with it, the lordship of the manor of Effingham East Court. Robert's wife, who is also listed separately as a member of the organizing committee, was Theresa Mary (née Bell). They had three sons and a daughter. Their eldest son Frank, aged 22 in 1919 and their second son Charles, aged 20 in 1919, are listed among the ex-servicemen given walking sticks. In due course Charles became Lord of the Manor(s) on his father's death in 1960.
Capt. J. and Mrs BOTTERELL
Capt. John Dumville Botterell had been born at Winchmore Hill, Enfield in 1884, the son of John James Dumville Botterell, J.P. In 1911 he was living in Bayswater and working as a solicitor. In the war he served with the West Kent Yeomanry. By May 1922, when he was applying to the War Office for his medals, he was living at Browns in Effingham. He was the eighth candidate for a possible seven places at the parish council election of 1928, so was not elected; however he chaired the Annual Parish Meeting which followed immediately. His wife was Nina Rosalind (née Hutchinson) whom he had married in 1913.
Miss Effie ROSS
As well as being part of the organizing committee, Effie Jane Ross is shown as being deputed to present the Parish Council's souvenir gift to the ex-servicemen. She was also the secretary to the War Shrine committee.
Her father Mr James Aitchison Ross, born in Scotland around 1850, had married Amy Lydia (née) Cobb in Surbiton in 1880 and then lived for some years in Sunbury where they produced four daughters, Effie being the second. James worked in London at the Stock Exchange. They then moved to The Villa in Effingham, on Guildford Road, being the property today called Grove House (serving until recently as the junior school of St. Teresa's). Here they produced two further daughters, in 1890 and in 1893; the former of these two died in 1896. Mrs Ross (Amy Lydia) died aged "39" in Worcestershire in 1897 – why she died in that county is not yet known. Mr Ross himself died in 1920 and the Parish Council minuted its deep regret at its meeting of 15 April 1920. During his final illness, straw was laid across Guildford Road outside The Villa to muffle the sound of the carriage wheels passing.
Later Effie moved to The Hollies, The Street. From Mrs Bridger's notes (describing WW2): "Miss Ross at Hollies had three girls and nurse from Putney home for Incurables". Much later she was involved in a complicated dispute with a Mr Diamantidis about whether she rented or owned the land opposite The Hollies, on which is now a row of bungalows and the allotments. She died in Dorset in 1963.
Rev. E. F. BAYLY
Rev. Bayly was the Vicar of St. Lawrence, having held that position since 1882. He acquired the patronage of the living in 1891. He was christened as Frederic Ernest but preferred to reverse his forenames. The war memorial in the churchyard records the name of his nephew 2nd Lieut. Noel Douglas Bayly of the Irish Guards who died on 8 October 1917. Rev. Bayly retired in 1931 after being the incumbent for 49 years. He died in 1936 and was buried next to the exterior of the east wall of the church.
Capt. Frederick Charles Booth would have been a very distinguished member of the Committee arranging the event, having been awarded the Victoria Cross in 1917.
He was born on 6 March 1890 and became a member of the British South African Police attached to the Rhodesia Native Infantry. Here, from the Register of the Victoria Cross, is the official summary of his personal details and the citation of the deed by which he achieved this honour, together with his photograph:
Sergeant (later Captain) British South African Police, attd. Rhodesia Native Infantry
Other Decorations: DCM
Date of Gazette: 8 Jun. 1917
Place/Date of Birth: Upper Holloway, London - 6 Mar. 1890
Place/Date of Death: Brighton, Sussex - 14 Sep. 1960
Memorials: Bear Road Cemetery, Brighton
Town/County Connections: Bowes Park, London; Brighton, Sussex
Account of Deed: On 12 February 1917 at Johannesbruck, near Songea, East Africa, during an attack in thick bush on the enemy position and under very heavy rifle fire, Sergeant Booth went forward alone and brought in a man who was dangerously wounded. Later he rallied native troops who were badly disorganized and brought them to the firing line. On many previous occasions this NCO has set a splendid example of pluck and endurance.
Very probably he was known to the Pauling family via the Africa connection. On 12 April 1921 (aged 31 and by now an officer in the Middlesex Regiment) he married George C.S. Pauling's widow, Lola, (aged 39) at Our Lady of Sorrows Church. The service was conducted by Rev. Phillip Hemans.
The couple had a son, David Michael Booth. He was born at Knightsbridge on 23 October 1922 but died on 12 March 1923 in the south of France, where he was with his mother. The marriage did not last. The Booths were divorced in 1925 and Lola reverted to her earlier surname of Pauling. She died on 13 July 1938 aged 55.
Frederick Charles Booth died in Brighton on 14 September 1960 and there was/is a memorial to him there at the Bear Road Cemetery.
Mr and Miss MADGE
The Madge family owned the village butcher's shop, "The Laurels", for a long period up until the mid-1930s. The shop gave its name to "Madge's Lane", the local name for the footpath which leads westwards from The Street over the fields to Salmon's Road and Orestan Lane. Madge's shop faced onto that lane, standing a few yards east of the current butcher's shop (Gibb's), and was open only on Saturdays. During the second world war one room of it was used by troops for gas training. Around 1949-51 the building served as the Post Office, as described on the page for the Post Office families of Effingham. By now it was becoming partly derelict and was pulled down in order to build the present parade in The Street. An L. Madge is named amongst the surviving ex-servicemen.
Mrs Lena Bridger's memories record that:
– Miss Madge was the butcher's sister. She played the piano for the village Folk Dance Club. In the Programme of Events she is leading the Ladies in the stoolball against the Gentlemen.
– The field between Curtis's dairy and Orestan Lane was called Madge's Field: "In Madges field behind Curtis and Orestan Lane magnificent mushrooms if getting up at daybreak".
– The Jubilee celebrations for King George V (1935) ended up in Madge's Field: "Silver Jubilee celebrations for King George V very hot day Fancy Dress Parade around village with village band led by Mr. Stewart Adams [see entry below] drum major with walking stick. Mr. Street, Mr. Pole, Mr. Patten and Mr. Stovell in band parade finished in Madge's field, comic football match, sports etc. Gallons of lemonade. Tree planted by J.S.A. (Joseph Stewart Adams)" .
Genealogical investigations indicate that "Miss Madge" was Emily, born in 1886 to parents George and Dinah. The steward "Mr. Madge" may have been George or one of Emily's brothers such as Sidney, who was a butcher and had married Agnes Violet (née Pooley). The surviving ex-serviceman "L. Madge" was Emily's brother Leonard, born in 1891. In 1911, when Sidney was running his butcher's shop in Church Street, Great Bookham (and had not yet moved to Effingham), Leonard was working as his assistant.
Charles William Dodman was, in 1911, the licensed victualler of the 'Blucher' public house in Effingham. He had married Edith Annie (née) Mathew in 1905. He was a Parish Councillor from 1913 to 1919, so had just stood down at the time of this event. He appears in the Programme of Events as captain of the Gentlemen's team v. the Ladies in the stoolball.
Ralph Edgar Street was the gardener at The Lodge and was a Parish Councillor from 1913 until the election of 1922. In the Programme of Events he is captaining the Village cricket team against the ex-servicemen.
Edgar Richards is mentioned in the Programme of Events as captaining the Cricket team of ex-servicemen against the Village. An A. Richards is named among the surviving ex-servicemen and was most probably Edgar's brother Albert. In 1911 both boys had been living in The Street and assisting their father William, the village 'Baker, Confectioner and Corn Dealer'. William had served as a Parish Councillor from 1898 to 1907. He also published at least two early series of picture postcards of Effingham, presumably for sale in his shop; one such postcard bears a franking date as early as 1904. These postcards are invaluable historical sources for many aspects of Effingham life.
Mr W. BUTCHER
William Butcher was the postmaster, in Church Street, from about 1893 until his death in 1949. He was also a builder and undertaker, and wheeled coffins to the church on a wooden barrow.
Mr Ernest LOXLEY
Ernest Albert Loxley, born in Effingham in 1876 to father Uriah Loxley, had been elected a Parish Councillor in 1910 and he served until the election of 1922. He died in 1934.
Uriah, baptised in 1837, was a farmer living at Home Farm on The Street. He had been one of the very first Parish Councillors (and was also a Churchwarden). He served from the first election of 1894 up to 1904, the year in which he died.
Mr J. OTTAWAY
John Ottaway was the father of Pte. William Ottaway (Grenadier Guards) who had been killed on 27 Sept. 1918 and who is commemorated on the St. Lawrence memorial. John appears among the surviving ex-servicemen; although he had not seen active service during the war, he had previously served with the Royal Artillery in the early 1900s.
Harry Jackson was elected as a Parish Councillor in 1910 and served until 1922.
Edward Davis was elected in 1895 as one of the very first Parish Councillors and he served for thirty years, until 1925. He was Chairman of the Parish Council from 1910 onwards.
Mr T. P. WEST
Thomas William Plowright West, 'Grocer and Draper, Yew Tree House', had been born in Effingham in 1875. His father James West, also a grocer of Yew Tree House, was one of the first Parish Councillors (1894). James had a tea room on the premises and served teas in the garden, besides running a taxi service. Thomas had been elected a Parish Councillor in 1910 and he served until 1925. He died in 1946.
An E. West was a surviving ex-serviceman but no connection has been found yet between him and the above family.
The Wests of Yew Tree House were also unrelated to Major West of the firm 'Cubitt and West'.
Programme of events
Sgt. Major W. DEARLING
William James Dearling, a surviving ex-serviceman, had been born in Dorking in 1876. He married Rose Mary (née) Holmes in 1905. By 1911 he was employed as coachman to Mr. James A. Ross of The Villa and was living there above the stable. In the war he served as a mechanic with the Army Service Corps. There does not appear to be a campaign medal record for him in the National Archives and so he may not have served abroad. However, in January 1919 he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal; this was reported in a Supplement to the London Gazette, stating his rank as Sgt. Major. In that same year Mr Ross bought a Vauxhall car and Mr Dearling became his chauffeur. Depending on which part of the Programme one looks at, he was ex Regimental Sgt. Major or ex Company Sgt. Major. He died on November 3rd 1942 and was buried in St. Lawrence churchyard. His daughter Alice Prudence Turner was buried in the same grave, in 1984.
Ellen Augusta Teesdale had been born in 1856, a daughter of John Marmaduke Teesdale. In The History of Effingham [O'Connor, 1973] it is stated that Ellen's brother Marmaduke John came into possession of The Lodge, which he sold in 1889. By early 1891 Ellen and her sister Julia, both unmarried, were living "on their own means" in The Cottage on The Street with several servants including a coachman. Later that year Julia married in Effingham to Montague Charles Perreau. By 1901 only Ellen was at The Cottage, with two servants, and was still there in 1911. She died in 1941. The property was then taken over by the Army during the war. Antony Page's father rented it from 1945/6 and subsequently bought it.
Mr A. STOVELL
Arthur Archibald ("Archer") Stovell had been born in Effingham in 1880, a son of the village blacksmith Thomas Stovell. Arthur was a shoe repairer who also made sandals and was a highly skilled wood carver. Additionally he led the Effingham Band. In 1911 he had been living with his wife Gertrude Georgianna (née Bell) and infant daughter Winifred Annie in Westmoor Cottages, but by the 1920s was living in a cottage at Yew Tree Cottages on The Street next to The Sir Douglas Haig Hotel. Subsequently he lived in the Forge House which had formerly been The Blacksmith's Arms, next door to Henry Woods' smithy (now M.P.S.) on Church Street. He died in 1966. Much more detail can be found on the Stovell Family page.
Cpl. E. DENCH M.M. Gren. Guards
Edward Dench had been born in Effingham on May 20th 1900 to parents William Dench and Elizabeth (née Whittington). In the war he served in the Grenadier Guards, 3rd Battalion. He was awarded the Military Medal just after the war, in January 1919. On Peace Day he would have been just 19 and it must have been a great honour for him to be selected to lead the Procession. He died in Buckinghamshire in late 1978.
Corporal Edward Dench M.M., aged 19, leading the Peace Day Procession
In WW2 Edward's younger brother Charles Thomas Dench – listed amongst the names of the fallen on the WW2 memorial board in St. Lawrence Church – was killed in action in North Africa while serving in the Royal Artillery.
The surviving ex-servicemen also include a T. Dench whose connection with Edward, if any, is as yet undetermined.
A family of Denchs lived at the now totally vanished Lovelace Estate cottage in the Short Wood (now owned by GBC), at the junction of the Orestan Lane and Dirtham Lane / Old London Road tracks. Their connection, if any, with Edward is also undetermined.
You may like to look at A Surrey Village Remembered by Mary and Simon Rice-Oxley (2006)*, which includes the following historic photographs related to people or places mentioned in the text above:
p3. The Village Stores in Effingham in 1935. This was the shop bought by Harry and Lena Bridger (Mary Rice-Oxley's parents) in 1932.
p5. The crossroads in 1935, showing the building which had once been The Prince Blucher. By 1935 it was The White House Tea Rooms. Today it is called Crosslands.
p7. Guildford Road in the 1920s, showing the Victory Cottages built after the war. The Parish Council supported the building of more workmen's cottages in the village but had been very opposed to development on this particular site, to no avail.
p18. The bakehouse shop belonging to William Richards, a parish councillor. The shop was demolished in 1932.
p19. Joseph Stewart Adams, with some of his boy pupils, at work in the school gardens.
p20. Yew Tree House (now demolished) where the West family lived and ran their grocer's business and taxi service.
p21. The Laurels (now demolished), which had earlier been Madge the butchers, facing onto Madge's Lane. By the time of the photograph (taken in 1949) it had become the Post Office.
p28. The Vicar, Rev. Bayly, in his vicarage garden with two ladies and the gardener.
p30. Mr Butcher's Post Office, on Church Street
p31. The blacksmith's, and Archer Stovell's cottage Forge House (since rebuilt) on Church Street
p32. The Lodge, in the days of the Paulings, and …
p33. …the Catholic Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, built and endowed by George C.S. Pauling.
p36. Joseph Stewart Adams and his wife with dog Spot, in front of the primary school's Headmaster's House on Lower Road
p39. The Effingham Band, including Mr Stovell and Mr Street, in a variety of interesting hats
p41. An early view of The Sir Douglas Haig Hotel
p43. A view of The Plough on Orestan Lane, next to the field in which, 'at the beginning of World War I an army sergeant was "shouting the odds and taking recruits" '.
p49. The Halt shop and tea-rooms at Effingham Junction, site of the first meeting of the Effingham Branch of The British Legion in 1920.
*ISBN 0-955 2785 -1-1 [copies on sale at Effingham Post Office and Sibley's, Guildford Road]
- A Surrey Village Remembered by Mary and Simon Rice-Oxley (2006)
- Unpublished manuscript of Mrs Bridger's memories, owned by Mary Rice-Oxley
- George Pauling, Benefactor of Our Lady of Sorrows and his Family by Michael Agius, published in The Lychgate (parish magazine of Our Lady of Sorrows), October 2005