The King George V Hall and Fields (KGV) provides a popular and important recreational facility for residents, with a village hall and 33 acres of open land in the heart of the village, including sports pitches, playgrounds, woodland and open grassland.The KGV is owned and managed by Effingham Village Recreation Trust (EVRT), a registered charity (number 305018) with a board of seven volunteer trustees, four of whom are appointed by Effingham Parish Council.
The KGV Hall is home to a pre-school as well as many different clubs and activities, and is the regular meeting place for the Parish Council.The KGV Fields has two playgrounds (one for toddlers and young children and one for older children) as well as rugby and football pitches and an artificial grass court, well-used by sports clubs and also available for private hire.
To find out more, and to book facilities, visit the KGV website.
Between 1935 and 1938, Effingham residents raised £4,000 (a significant amount of money at the time) in order to purchase 33 acres of land for village playing fields – this is the area now known as the King George V Playing Fields. The purchase was assisted by funding from the King George V Memorial Fund, and ‘Fields in Trust’, the successor organization, still takes an interest in the Effingham KGV today.
After the Second World War, it was feared that the land might be requisitioned for housing so the residents’ purchasing committee decided to dedicate the land as a Charity (now EVRT) which would preserve its intended use, sport and recreation, for the benefit of the residents of Effingham in perpetuity. The KGV Hall was built in 1966, with sports changing rooms and clubrooms as well as a hall for general use.
Governance and Funding
The KGV is managed by the Board of Managing Trustees, who have sole responsibility for administering and running the facilities. Four of these trustees are appointed by the Parish Council, with another three co-opted by the Board.
The Parish Council as a corporate body is the Custodian Trustee of EVRT, holding the freehold of the land and ultimately responsible for ensuring that the finances are run in accordance with the objects of the charity (Public Trustee Act 1906). However the Parish Council does not intervene in the day-to-day management of the KGV, and anyone with concerns or questions about the KGV should contact the KGV Manager or the Board of Managing Trustees.
The Parish Council has a funding agreement with EVRT by which the Council pays the cost of providing the KGV facilities which are free-at-the point of use, such as the playgrounds and accessible open fields, and a share of the cost of administration and providing a village hall for community use. The rest of the funding is paid by the various user groups including sports clubs, the pre-school, social club and other community clubs and activities.