Effingham Parish Council has been in existence since 1894, when the Local Government Act set up civil parish councils as the first tier of local government.

The galleon is the emblem of both the Parish Council and the village. The image depicts the first of no less than five Ark Royal ships to serve the Crown, and was the flagship of the English Fleet in which Lord Howard of Effingham successfully faced the Spanish Armada in 1588. Sir Walter Raleigh had the ship built in Deptford in 1587 for his own use, but before launch she was purchased by Queen Elizabeth I for £5000. Subsequent HMS Ark Royals were launched in 1914, 1937, 1950 & 1981, the last of which was decommissioned in 2011. Captain Kyd, the last commander, expressed the hope that there would be a sixth Ark Royal in the not-too-distant future. “It is an iconic name that has real resonance with the British people, with the Royal Navy, and around the world.

Clerks to the Parish Council

There have been just six Clerks to Effingham Parish Council before our current Clerk, with Edward Crouch MBE serving for a remarkable 50 years.

  • Arthur J. Killick
    1894 – 1928
  • Ernest A. Killick
    1928 – 1946
  • Major Oliver Cundall
    1946 – 1953
  • C. Edward W. Crouch
    1953 – 2003
  • Susan W. Morris
    2003 – 2013
  • Clare Ritchie
    2013 – 2015

The current Clerk, Jon Short, was appointed in 2015.

Chairmen of the Parish Council

The list of previous Chairmen of Effingham Parish Council includes the engineer Sir Barnes Wallis, a long-term Effingham resident who developed his design for the ‘bouncing bomb’, used in the Dam Busters raid, at his home in Beech Avenue.

  • Francis Muir
    1894 – 1897
  • Charles Lambert
    1897 – 1910
  • Edward Davis
    1910 – 1921
  • F. P. Robinson
    1922 – 1924
  • Capt. J. D. Botterill
    1925 – 1927
  • James Almond
    1928 – 1931
  • J. S. Bunce
    1932 – 1936
  • A. W. Carter
    1937 – 1938
  • A. H. Lord
    1939 – 1946
  • Major T. C. L. Farrar
    1946
  • Barnes Wallis
    1946 – 1955
  • C. C. Francis
    1956
  • Joyce Bristow
    1957 – 1960
  • Dr. Charles T. Sutton
    1961 – 1968
  • Antony D. Page
    1968 – 1970
  • Derek Hubbard
    1970
  • Antony D. Page
    1971 – 1980
  • Norman H. West
    1980 – 1987
  • Anthony Cockle
    1987 – 1988
  • Norman H. West
    1988 – 1989
  • Keith Cornwell
    1989 – 1992
  • Peter Grobel
    1992 – 1997
  • Valerie Chapman
    1997 – 2000
  • Jessica E. Page
    2000 – 2004
  • Alison Mouser
    2004 – 2006
  • C. Edward W. Crouch MBE
    2006 – 2009
  • Arnold Pindar
    2009 – 2018

The current Chairman, Ian Symes, was elected in 2018.

Photograph by courtesy of Effingham Local History Group’

Several past Chairmen of Effingham Parish Council attended the retirement party in 1973 of Frank Watkins, headmaster of St Lawrence School. Shown here are Anthony Page (left), Sir Barnes Wallis (3rd from left), Dr. Charles Sutton (4th from left) and Anthony Cockle (right).

In April 2011, C. Edward W. Crouch MBE (right) was created the first ‘Freeman of the Parish of Effingham’ by the Parish Council, in recognition of 58 years of outstanding service as Clerk, Chairman and member of the Parish Council. Here he is presented with the certificate by Arnold Pindar (left), who was then the Parish Council Chairman.

The Minutes Books of Effingham Parish Council are stored in the Surrey History Centre. Scans are available here:

For more information about the history of Effingham, visit the website of Effingham Local History Group https://elhg.org.uk/